Patient & Family Engagement Committee
Working Together to Help Improve CCM Health
Patients and their family members are an important part of how we provide quality care at CCM Health.
Patient and Family Engagement Advisors provide a voice that represents all patients and families of patients who receive care at CCM Health. Through the Patient and Family Engagement Committee (PFEC), advisors partner with our health care providers, nurses, and other CCM Health staff to help improve the quality of CCM Health’s care for our community.
Members of CCM Health’s PFEC provide patient and family points of view when developing or beginning new programs and policies to help provide the best patient experience. Our advisors serve as a “voice” for patients and families of patients who receive care at CCM Health.
Become a Patient and Family Engagement Advisor
Who is a patient and family engagement advisor?
A volunteer patient and family engagement advisor is someone who:
- wants to help improve the quality of CCM Health’s care for all patients and family members
- provides feedback to CCM Health based on his or her own experiences as a patient or family member
- volunteers his or her time typically (usually one hour and not more than four hours every quarter).
Patient and family engagement advisors provide a voice that represents all patients and families of patients who receive care at CCM Health. They partner with CCM Health internal stakeholders to help improve the quality of care for our community.
Why should you become a patient and family engagement advisor?
When you or a family member have been hospitalized, did you think there were things CCM Health could have done better? After a clinic visit, did you have ideas about how other patients and families can get the best care possible? At CCM Health, volunteer patient and family engagement advisors can volunteer to give us feedback and ideas to help us improve the quality and safety of the care we provide.
Who can be a patient and family engagement advisor?
You can be an advisor if you or a family member received care at CCM Health in the last three years. You do not need any special qualifications to be an advisor. What’s most important is your experience as a patient or family member.
What do patient and family engagement advisors do?
If you volunteer as an advisor for CCM Health, you can help us in the following ways:
- share your story. Advisors help by talking about their health care experiences with health care providers, staff, and other patients
- participate in discussion groups. Advisors tell us what it’s like to be a patient at CCM Health and what we can do to improve
- review or help create educational or informational materials. Advisors help review or create materials like forms, health information handouts, and discharge instructions. Advisors help CCM Health make these materials easier for all patients and family members to understand and use
- serve on a patient and family engagement advisory committee.
Is being a patient and family engagement advisor right for you?
Being a patient and family engagement advisor may be a good match with your skills and experiences if you can:
- share suggestions and potential solutions to help improve care for others
- talk about your own experiences as a patient or family member, but think beyond your own personal experiences
- review both positive and negative care experiences, and share your thoughts on what went well and how things could have been done differently
- work with a diverse group of people
- listen to and think about what others say, even when you disagree
- bring a positive attitude to discussions
- keep any information you may hear as an advisor private and confidential.